Duration: 8 weeks
Effective change comes from effective leadership. In NRHL 6646 Nursing Leadership and Systems Thinking, you will examine theoretical foundations and conceptual principles of nursing leadership. As you explore a variety of leadership styles, you’ll discover how to build teams to motivate positive change and the necessary skills required for nurse executives to function effectively in complex healthcare environments.
What You’ll Learn in NRHL 6646
In this course, you will develop leadership self-awareness and investigate leadership traits necessary to effectively lead organizational change, build strong cultures, develop effective teams and resolve conflicts. You will also examine change processes in contemporary healthcare organizations as well as the evolving roles of management and transformational leadership.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Leadership Characteristics
- Transformational and Transactional Leadership
- Readiness to Change
- Vision and Power
- Leadership and Diversity
- Mentoring and Coaching for Nurse Leaders
- Legal and Ethical Issues for Nurse Leaders
- Aiming for Excellence
Planning Your Time
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of NRHL 6646, you will be able to:
- Examine attributes of leaders and followers and their ability to positively influence practice.
- Analyze transformational and transactional leadership styles and ways in which each can be applied to current and anticipated changes in practice.
- Assess the change process in a practice setting and identify areas of resistance and strategies to reduce resistance.
- Analyze the concepts of power and vision in promoting leadership excellence.
- Explore factors associated with organizational culture and diversity that affect performance.
- Evaluate the role of the nurse leader in legal and ethical situations.
- Propose a personal plan for leadership development that attends to vision, empowerment, mentoring, role modeling, networking, self-assessment, and continued renewal.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information Today
To learn more about the online Master of Science in Nursing curriculum from Benedictine University, including Nursing Leadership and Systems Thinking, call (866) 295-3104 to speak with a program manager or request more information.