No Application Fees for May Term*
Health care reform and concerns about public health have drawn attention to the importance of teaching individuals and communities about healthy lifestyles. The online Certificate in Health Education is a health education program designed to train you to participate in or lead health promotion activities, initiatives and programs for communities, private companies, schools and other settings. Examples of topics can include smoking cessation, nutrition and obesity, prenatal care, exercise, depression and mental health, and sexually transmitted diseases.
Health educators may work in a variety of fields, offering great career flexibility. A few of these settings include:
- Health maintenance organizations (HMOs)
- Employee assistance programs at private companies
- Social service agencies
- Public health departments
- Medical care settings
- Colleges and universities
- Community organizing nonprofits
- Public and private secondary school
Certificate in Health Education and Promotion Curriculum
The certificate requires the successful completion of four courses. It can be taken as a stand-alone program or in conjunction with the online Master of Public Health program.
MPH 6001 Behavioral and Social Aspects of Public Health
Addresses behavioral and social factors and theories related to individual and population health.
MPH 6009 Cultural Context of Health
Addresses cultural factors related to individual and population health and health disparities over the life course.
MPH 6032 Public Health Education Methods
Presents evidence-based methods of health education and promotion addressing major risk factors for death, injury and disability.
MPH 6034 Public Health Education Programs and Skills (Elective)
Focuses on health education programs and the skills required for the Certified Health Educator Specialist (CHES) examinations.
MPH 6094 Grant Writing for Public Health (Elective)
Provides an overview of the grant writing process and funding sources for research, practice, and administration/planning grants; and requires development of a full grant proposal.
Learn more about the online Certificate in Health Education and Promotion: Request more information or call us today at (866) 295-3104 to speak to a Program Manager.
* Benedictine University will waive the $40 application fee for qualified students who submit a completed application by 4/19/21 and start class on 5/03/21 to one of the following online programs: Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), M.S. in Management and Organizational Behavior (M.S.M.O.B.), Master of Public Health (M.P.H.), M.S. in Nursing (M.S.N.), Dual M.S.N./M.B.A., Dual M.B.A./M.P.H., Dual M.B.A./M.S.M.O.B., Dual M.P.H./M.S.M.O.B., B.A. in Management, Graduate Certificate in Epidemiology, Graduate Certificate in Health Management and Policy, Graduate Certificate in Health Education and Promotion. The fee waiver program is for United States citizens and permanent residents only and is subject to change without notice. Call 866-295-3104 for more information.