Duration: 8 weeks
Developments in healthcare such as the Affordable Health Act of 2010, telehealth and technological innovations are creating significant changes in healthcare settings. Add escalating health insurance costs and reimbursements, and you begin to identify the challenges facing healthcare administrators. NRHL 6624 Advanced Knowledge of Healthcare Systems helps you develop greater skills and knowledge nurse executives need to effectively lead in a variety of healthcare systems.
What You’ll Learn in NRHL 6624
In this course, you will explore the unique needs of various healthcare settings including hospitals, ambulatory facilities, community-based services, long-term care and private practice. You’ll also examine financial, operational, regulatory and clinical aspects of management specific to a range of healthcare systems. Factors such as staffing, leadership and for-profit/not-for-profit aspects of the system will also be addressed in the context of nursing leadership strategies.
There aren’t “best designs” or universal organizational designs, so the nurse executive must be creative and innovative in meeting the needs of the healthcare organization.
Source: Syllabus, Week 2, Overview.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Trends Shaping Nurse Executives
- Organizational Design and Complexity
- Strategic Planning and Management
- Budgeting and Financials
- Managing the Process of Care Delivery and Information Technology
- Regulation and Risk Management
- Evaluating Care Delivery Systems
Planning Your Time
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of NRHL 6624, you will be able to:
- Identify current trends in the business of healthcare and their impact on nurse executives.
- Examine the key components and complexities in developing, analyzing and evaluating an organizational structure.
- Consider application and demonstration of strategic planning and management in contemporary healthcare organizations.
- Conduct budget-planning steps for a healthcare unit or organization.
- Describe the process of managing care delivery and information technology.
- Analyze health policy, laws and regulations regarding healthcare issues.
- Discuss the tools for evaluating the operations and care delivery systems in healthcare institutions.
- Prepare an executive summary for a quality improvement project.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information Today
To learn more about the online Master of Science in Nursing curriculum from Benedictine University, including Advanced Knowledge of Healthcare Systems, call (866) 295-3104 to speak with a program manager or request more information.