Duration: 8 weeks
Often called the research-practice gap in the field of health care research, the time between discovery and practice can be as long as 15 years. Evidence-based practice (EBP) helps close that gap. In NRHL 503 Evidence-Based Nursing Practice: Research and Process Improvement, you’ll gain the skills required to systematically research and evaluate current nursing knowledge to promote evidence-based nursing practice.
You will explore how research-based discoveries are improving health care. You’ll discuss research topics such as ethical and cultural issues, methodological procedures associated with scientific investigation and potential barriers to evidence-based practice. In addition, you will gain knowledge of how and why research is substantiated and understand the importance of timely implementation of nursing and health care advancements.
What You’ll Learn in NRHL 503
In this course, you will critically analyze the current literature and proposed research methods, including quantitative and/or qualitative approaches to research, sampling procedures, data collection methods, and data analysis planning.
NHRL 503 emphasizes an analysis of differing research paradigms, as well as current issues surrounding evidence-based research.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Critically appraising and managing the evidence you find
- Moving from evidence to action in organizations: Organizational structures that support a climate for EBP and research
- Moving from evidence to action in organizations: Organizational barriers to EBP
- Creating change in your environment; ethics of research; funding issues; disseminating results
- Generating external evidence: Quantitative research
- Generating external evidence: Qualitative research
- Ethical considerations; funding, nursing research, evidence based practice and process improvement
Planning Your Time
*Source: Alumni Infographic.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of NRHL 503, you will be able to:
- Evaluate differences and similarities of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Systematically explore and evaluate current nursing knowledge for scientific merit in your area of concentration (practice, education or leadership/administration).
- Critically analyze a recent research report in your area of concentration using an evidence grid and a selected framework for research evaluation.
- Examine the ethical and cultural issues related to scientific investigation.
- Describe an environment that supports a culture of evidence based practice and research that takes into consideration overcoming frequently encountered barriers to implementation.
- Apprise a body of knowledge as a foundation for applying an evidence-based practice, education or administrative change.
- Develop an appreciation for the ongoing evolution of nursing knowledge.
- Analyze strategies to evaluate data in order to improve health outcomes using information technology.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information Today
To learn more about the online Master of Science in Nursing curriculum from Benedictine University, including Evidence-Based Nursing Practice: Research and Process Improvement, call (866) 295-3104 to speak with a program manager or request more information.