Master the techniques that ensure successful business operations.
Duration: 8 weeks
Operations management not only controls but plans resources so that the individual resources and the entire organization are operating at the highest efficiency possible. How operations functions are handled ensures whether or not that a company runs smoothly and is able to achieve its goals. In MNGT 6501 Operations Management, you will discover analytical techniques, processes, and approaches used to solve, prevent and anticipate problems within an organization. You will focus on issues such as continuous quality improvement to both control costs and improve products/services, and the role the customer plays in any business.
While examining the principles of project management, you will learn related forecasting techniques and methods as well as the concepts of regression analysis and the coefficient of correlation. You will focus on supply chain management as it applies to e-commerce and gain insight into how quality management affects social responsibility and product sustainability. You will then look at the seven tools employed in Total Quality Management.
What You Will Learn in MNGT 6501
You will become familiar with the tools of process analysis and evaluate production technology advances such as RFID. As you begin to understand how to determine design capacity, effective capacity and utilization, you will also see how bottleneck analysis, break-even and net present value are computed. By understanding how to compute labor productivity, you will be better equipped to control costs and output. Facilities play a significant role in an organization’s success and you will identify the determining factors that affect location and physical layout decisions.
In this course, you will also focus on human resources strategies identify major issues in job design and inventory management. The latter is a driving factor in analyzing an organization’s capacity to meet customer demand. You will learn effective planning strategies as well as the application of Just-In-Time (JIT) and lean operations principles as you see how documenting processes and analyzing them can reduce waste and improve productivity.
Using the course’s online forum, you will discuss in detail a number of ethical dilemmas that appear in case studies in the course’s textbook.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Introduction to Operations Management
- Project Management and Forecasting
- Supply Chain Strategy and Managing Quality
- Capacity Management and Location Strategy
- Layout Strategy and Human Resources
- Supply Chain and Inventory Management
- Aggregate and Material Planning
- Just-In-Time and Lean Operations
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of MNGT 6501, you will be able to:
- Formulate strategies and tactics that increase productivity and quality to maximize a firm’s profitability in a global marketplace.
- Define and apply the concepts of productivity and production.
- Assess a firm’s operational performance through interpretation of its financial statements.
- Apply Operations Management tools and methods to product design and the product life cycle to improve the firm’s performance.
- Assess capacity and enhance operating leverage via break-even analysis.
Request More Information Today
To learn more about the online Master of Business Administration curriculum from Benedictine University, including Operations Management, call (866) 295-3104 to speak with a program manager or request more information.
Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.