Named a Top 25 Online M.P.H. Program in Epidemiology for 20201
The online Certificate in Epidemiology, available as a standalone graduate certificate or as a set of electives within the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) accredited Master of Public Health program, equips students to apply biostatistical and research methods to uncover the patterns, causes and effects of disease, and ultimately help solve public health issues.
Through research, education and policy, epidemiologists take on the task of uncovering trends and minimizing the risk and incidence of negative health outcomes. The skills required cross many disciplines from communication to the sciences.
Through this program students will learn to:
- Use biostatistic methods to address, analyze and solve problems in public health.
- Acquire skills in statistical and epidemiological software applications including Excel, SPSS, SurveyMonkey, and EpiInfo.
- Study patterns of illness and injury in populations to prevent and control health problems.
- Apply fundamental research principles and methods to improve population health.
- Develop a survey instrument, collect and analyze data, and develop and communicate findings clearly to both professional and lay audiences.
The demand for trained epidemiologists is on the rise. Employment in this field is expected to increase 5 percent from 2018 to 2028.2 Epidemiologists work for:
- State and local health departments
- Federal government agencies
- Private health care and pharmaceutical companies
- International and nongovernmental agencies
- Consulting firms
- Medical centers
Certificate in Epidemiology Curriculum (16 credit hours required)
MPH 5011 Biostatistics
Students will learn basic statistical concepts including frequency distributions, central tendency and variability via parametric and nonparametric methods, as well as related Excel applications.
MPH 6004 Epidemiology
Students will learn to analyze chronic and communicable disease patterns. Coursework covers the epidemiological triad and other models, preventive health and medicine, the impact and spread of disease throughout history and the study of epidemiological statistical methods.
MPH 6006 Methods of Research in Public Health
This course presents an overview of research design, collection and reporting of data, interpretation of findings, inferential procedures and current public health research.
MPH 6096 Applied Epidemiology
This course combines the fundamental skills and competencies acquired in biostatistics, epidemiology, and methods of research and provides an interactive, hands-on experience in actual study design, development of survey instruments, and collection, analysis and reporting of real data.
Learn more about how you can keep communities healthy with the online Certificate in Epidemiology. Request more information or call us today at (866) 295-3104 to speak to a Program Manager.
2 Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2018-19 Edition, Epidemiologists, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/epidemiologists.htm (visited November 12, 2019).