No Application Fees for May Term*
This online certificate is designed for health care professionals who seek to participate in and influence policy development. Professionals in this field need the skills and knowledge to assess the adequacy of current practices and recommend appropriate changes based on societal needs, relevant laws and regulations, and cost effectiveness.
Because health policy development and health care management require a broad base of knowledge across many disciplines, this certificate is applicable to a broad range of health care roles. You will gain essential skills that can be valuable for positions in government, health care organizations, and both for-profit and non-profit organizations.
Health management and policy professionals may seek roles in settings such as:
- Consulting firms
- Health care associations
- Home health agencies
- Hospitals and hospital systems
- Long-term care facilities
- Managed care organizations
- Medical group practices
- Mental health organizations
- Public health departments
- University or research institutions
Health Management and Policy Certificate Curriculum
This certificate requires 12 foundation credit hours and 4 elective credit hours for a total of 16 credit hours.
MPH 6002 Public Health Systems (4 credits)
Students explore the history, basic structures and operations of public health and health care delivery systems based on Essential Public Health Services. They will learn to apply the core functions and essential public health services framework to public health problems, and identify the main components and issues of the organization, financing and delivery of health services and public health systems in the US.
MPH 6010 Health Policy (4 credits)
This course addresses the development and advocacy processes for public health policies and provides tools for policy analysis. Students learn to analyze and develop public health policies, apply an intersectoral policy approach to solving health problems, communicate policy issues to diverse audiences and evaluate policy positions through dialectics and debate.
MPH 6062 Management of Health Services Organizations (4 credits)
Coursework explores basic management principles and practical tools for health management professionals in a variety of public health and health care organizations. Students learn to develop organizational policies and procedures, prepare a budget, interpret financial statements, conduct a strategic planning process and perform a quality improvement project to ensure successful operations.
Choose one elective:
- MPH 6080 The Business of Health Care (4 credits)
Topics include insurance, privacy of information, accountable care organizations and financing structures. Students will be able to explain the origins of managed care, analyze the significance of privacy and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) through a variety of health care settings, and examine the current payer systems. Accountable care organizations, health Insurance exchanges and health information exchanges are also discussed.
- MPH 6064 Marketing of Health Services (4 credits)
Explores concepts of marketing theory, planning, strategy, research and implementation of marketing plans. Students learn the basic concepts and principles of marketing in the health care setting, including strategic planning, analyzing both internal and external marketing factors and creating an effective marketing campaign.
Learn more about the online Certificate in Health Management and Policy: Request more information or call us today at (866) 295-3104 to speak to a Program Manager.
* Benedictine University will waive the $40 application fee for qualified students who submit a completed application by 4/19/21 and start class on 5/03/21 to one of the following online programs: Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), M.S. in Management and Organizational Behavior (M.S.M.O.B.), Master of Public Health (M.P.H.), M.S. in Nursing (M.S.N.), Dual M.S.N./M.B.A., Dual M.B.A./M.P.H., Dual M.B.A./M.S.M.O.B., Dual M.P.H./M.S.M.O.B., B.A. in Management, Graduate Certificate in Epidemiology, Graduate Certificate in Health Management and Policy, Graduate Certificate in Health Education and Promotion. The fee waiver program is for United States citizens and permanent residents only and is subject to change without notice. Call 866-295-3104 for more information