Earn Your MPH Degree With or Without a Certificate—or Just Earn a Certificate
The online Emergency Preparedness Certificate equips you with the essential skills, including risk management, crisis management and disaster management, necessary to prepare for and prevent disasters, assess risk, communicate with organizations and populations, make decisions and take action according to established models and practices, and aid in the recovery process.
You may be able to apply your certificate to positions involved in:
- Coordinating or implementing programs and plans related to emergency preparedness, response, and/or recovery
- Assisting states or communities to plan and implement community development programs for emergency and disaster management
- Assisting with the development of educational and training materials for disaster-relief initiatives
- Providing summaries and progress reports to senior level management and program directors
- Duties associated with law enforcement, fire safety services and other public safety agencies that deal with disaster planning
Certificate in Emergency Preparedness Curriculum
The certificate requires the successful completion of four courses. It can be earned as a stand-alone certificate or in conjunction with the Master of Public Health degree program.
MPH 605 Environmental Health
Studies environmental factors including biological, physical, and chemical factors that affect the health of the community.
MPH 650 Emergency Preparedness and Planning
Introduces the core principles and practices of emergency preparedness and planning from all types of hazards, threats and disasters.
MPH 654 Psychology and Sociology of Disasters
The focus of this course is the immediate and long-term effects that natural and man-made disasters have on survivors, their communities and first responders; and methods to assist survivors in their recovery. Students learn to mitigate stress reactions, triage behavioral casualties and when to refer to behavioral health specialists or other social and medical services.
MPH 656 Emergency Response and Recovery
Focuses on the role of the public health system in responding to all types of hazards, threats, and disasters. This course builds upon the concepts learned in MPH 650 and MPH 654.
Want to learn more about the online Certificate in Emergency Preparedness? Request more information or call us today at (866) 295-3104 to speak to a Program Manager.