Duration: 8 weeks
Developments in health care such as the Affordable Health Act of 2010, telehealth and technological innovations are creating significant changes in health care settings. Add escalating health insurance costs and reimbursements, and you begin to identify the challenges facing health care administrators. NRHL 624 Advanced Knowledge of Health Care Systems helps you develop greater skills and knowledge nurse executives need to effectively lead in a variety of health care systems.
What You’ll Learn in NRHL 624
In this course, you will explore the unique needs of various health care settings including hospitals, ambulatory facilities, community-based services, long-term care and private practice. You’ll also examine financial, operational, regulatory and clinical aspects of management specific to a range of health care systems. Factors such as staffing, leadership and for-profit/not-for-profit aspects of the system will also be addressed in the context of nursing leadership strategies.
There aren’t “best designs” or universal organizational designs, so the nurse executive must be creative and innovative in meeting the needs of the health care organization.
Source: Syllabus, Week 2, Overview.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Trends Shaping Nurse Executives
- Organizational Design and Complexity
- Strategic Planning and Management
- Budgeting and Financials
- Managing the Process of Care Delivery and Information Technology
- Regulation and Risk Management
- Evaluating Care Delivery Systems
Planning Your Time
*Source: Alumni Infographic.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of NRHL 624, you will be able to:
- Identify current trends in the business of health care and their impact on nurse executives.
- Examine the key components and complexities in developing, analyzing and evaluating an organizational structure.
- Consider application and demonstration of strategic planning and management in contemporary health care organizations.
- Conduct budget-planning steps for a health care unit or organization.
- Describe the process of managing care delivery and information technology.
- Analyze health policy, laws and regulations regarding health care issues.
- Discuss the tools for evaluating the operations and care delivery systems in health care institutions.
- Prepare an executive summary for a quality improvement project.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
Request More Information Today
To learn more about the online Master of Science in Nursing curriculum from Benedictine University, including Advanced Knowledge of Health Care Systems, call (866) 295-3104 to speak with a program manager or request more information.